Are contractors required to provide documentation of insurance?

Before a permit can be issued, New York State General Municipal Law requires proof of Workers’ Compensation Insurance coverage or a Certificate of Attestation of Exemption (form CE-200) issued by the State of New York Workers’ Compensation Board. The certificate identifies entities with no employees as defined by workers’ compensation law. The Affidavit of Exemption is site specific and a separate affidavit is required to accompany each permit application. Requests for exemptions can be made here.