What can I do if the code official denies my building permit application?

A Board of Appeals has been established in accordance with General City Law. The Board of Appeals hears and determines appeals from any refusal of a building permit or certificate of occupancy by the Code Enforcement Officer where such order or decision is based upon the requirements of the zoning ordinance. The Zoning Board of Appeals has the power to vary or modify the application of any provision of the zoning regulations relating to the use, construction, structural change, equipment or alteration of buildings or structures or any use of land. The Board of Appeals is authorized to use its power where there are practical difficulties or an unnecessary hardship. Applications for variances may be obtained by printing the ZBA application form available on this site as a downloadable form.