The history of the City of Batavia began with survey work undertaken by Joseph Ellicott in 1801. At that time, Ellicott laid out the main streets and property divisions that still define the overall shape of the community today.
The year 1802 marked the construction of the earliest frame buildings. While none of these survived, other structures built not too long afterwards remain standing. These later buildings and many others that followed have become an important part of the City’s heritage. As a consequence, the City Council adopted legislation in 1995, 1997, and 2000 that is designed to help preserve Batavia’s architectural history.
The City of Batavia contains additional historic properties and landmarks not currently designated by formal action of the Historic Preservation Commission. An excellent resource for identifying such places is The Architectural Heritage of Genesee County, N.Y., a book published by the Landmark Society of Genesee County, Inc. This book is available both through local book sellers and at the Richmond Memorial Library.