The Batavia Water Filtration Plant was built between 1917 and 1918 by the Warsaw Construction Co. At the time citizens were tired of the "ill smelling creek water" and were demanding potable water. The new filter plant consisted of an open water basin connected to the intake from the creek and served as a settling basin where the water was cleared and aerated. Water then flowed to the six filters and then to an underground storage tank before being pumped throughout the city. At this time the plant was able to produce 3 million gallons per day.
The Filtration Plant has been renovated many times since 1918. New aeration beds were installed in 1932. In 1938, a WPA project built a 1.5 million gallon storage tank to maintain a constant pressure for the distribution system. The intake from the creek was relocated in 1946 and the use of chlorine was used as a disinfectant. Lime softening was added to the system and was the first in the state to do so. In 1964 a new well site was put into service for use when the creek levels were low.
In 1968 the plant was completely rebuilt with the addition of another softening unit, six more filters, new pumps, feeders and monitoring equipment. This renovation enabled the plant to produce up to six million gallon per day. Between 2001 and 2013 the city invested 3 million dollars in improvements into the plant with new feeders, pumps, lighting, filter controls and the building of a new storage tank on the east side of town.
Through the years, the City of Batavia has strived to provide its residents with a safe, potable supply of drinking water for generations to come.