Batavia Industrial Center

In 1956, Massey-Ferguson, the largest industry in Batavia, N.Y., closed down, leaving vacant an 850,000 square foot complex of multistory buildings and driving unemployment to more than 20 percent.  The Mancuso family then purchased the building.  While trying to find a single company to rent the behemoth plant riddled with maintenance needs, they decided instead to divide the building and rent to separate businesses that would nurture by providing shared office services, assistance with raising capital and business advice.   It became the world’s first business incubator.  Since then the Batavia Industrial Center (BIC) has filled millions of square feet of old buildings while helping thousands of businesses create countless jobs.